Friday, March 11, 2011

Deliverance, Taylor Swift, Fluoride...

Y'all may have noticed I'm fond of having odd titles hooked up to my posts.
Sometimes they'll have everything to do with whatever I'm about to write about, and other times they're a bunch of compiled thoughts from the post put together in one dandy little line.
This one is one of those compiled thought titles... that don't really make sense until you read the post.

And I'm trusting you'll keep reading, because who doesn't want to know about fluoride, right? (:

The other day (2 days ago, to be exact) I had the opportunity to visit the dentist...a new one, actually, who I knew nothing about and had absolutely no clue in my right mind who this person even was. Apparently, we had switched dentists about a year ago, which I had no idea about because I hadn't been to the dentist for about 2 years...and for those of you who keep up with your trips to the dentist when you're suppose to, you will probably realize you're suppose to go every year. Yeah...it'd been about 2 years since I'd been to any dentist, and this guy kept repeating, "Whoa. Your teeth are in really good shape for avoiding the dentist for so long." Which I wasn't sure if this was a compliment, or something to make me feel guilty, but I knew he was partially joking...

It's not like I hate the dentist.
I don't hate it as much as I hate peanut butter. I don't hate it as much as I hate spiders, bananas, or snakes...
No, those things I definitely can't stand. At all.

And I love the feeling after you visit the dentist of pure-cleanliness and squeaky clean teeth...
But the dentist...yeah, I'm just not a big fan of someone reaching in my mouth for an hour or so without food or water or anything to do... just sitting there.
And with my regular case of the giggles and not being able to sit still for long... it just wasn't a good combination of all those.
So I don't hate the dentist, I'm just not too fond of it... a strong dislike, if you will.

So yes, you could say I avoiding it for a while. And like I called it an "opportunity" earlier, it wasn't really an opportunity at all considering I had 0 say on the matter. Apparently you have to be 18 or older or just a ridiculously rude child to keep your parents from sending you to the dentist...ehhh.

If I had the choice, at first I would most definitely NOT go.
But after the dentist told me I was a couple months away from gingivitis and a couple cavities...yeah, considering I've never had a single cavity in my life and have just about had enough with braces and all, I'm thinking I'll keep up with the yearly visits from now on...

On the note of deliverance, I shall admit that I wasn't looking forward to going.
I had these little fears and thoughts that I would have a bunch of cavities, they'd have to drill out my mouth, and I'd be screaming bloody murder while people in the waiting room gave my mother strange looks...

I'm not really sure why these thoughts plagued me and continued to throughout the whole day, but it was literally the suspense that was killing me.
Instead of freaking out and totally running out of the office(even though I was freaking out thoughts-wise...), I calmly sat in my chair and brought this whole situation to God, praying that if it was His will, that He'd deliver me from this, He'd make it less painful than I thought, and overall, that He'd take away my sense of taste for the next hour. Ha. Silly, right?
But that fluoride is NASTY...

The moment came when they called my name, and I turned around to my friend who got dragged along under the circumstances of us carpooling with her, and I said, "If I don't come out alive, you can have my iPod and everything that's in this purse...*hands over purse*...wish me luck..."
And me being me, I probably, strike that, definitely made the whole situation way more dramatic than it needed to be. My friend in turn laughed at me the whole way there and the whole way back repeatedly saying, "Dude, it's only the dentist."

So while I sat there in the oh-so-intimidating chair having this nice lady with a southern drawl (which yes, totally cracked me up and made her even more sweet) cleaning my teeth, I thought about some things...

1) "Lord, take away my taste in this next hour. Because that guy in the important looking white coat just asked what flavor fluoride I wanted, and it aint gonna be pretty..."
The fluoride had the be the worst part of the whole thing, so I was glad when it was done.

And strangely and surprisingly enough(my lack of faith...again), my sense of taste literally diminished from the time they had me bite into that tray of pure and utter evilness (fluoride...)
to the time where I was starting my $5 foot long not an hour later!

I thought I was dreaming, and apparently, so was the dentist.
After they had put it in, I asked "Was that really suppose to be flavored? It really wasn't that bad..." And he, with a shocked expression, replied, "Uhhh, yeah, you picked one of the strongest flavors. That's weird...glad it wasn't too bad for you."
Whoa! Deliverance! Even in the midst of me freaking out and having lack of faith, God totally delivered me and answered my prayer for something that I seriously thought wouldn't happen had to be one of the silliest things I had ever prayed for...(:


2) "Hmm...at least they have some good music..."
As a country station was playing in the background, at the exact same moment of the fluoride and the desperate prayer to God, I heard "Love Story" blast in the background, "We'll make it out of this mess..." which was totally something I could relate to at the time. Ha. It cracked me up!
So although I couldn't sing... I gingerly hummed along to every word of that thing with the laughter of the dentist and his hygienist behind me...(:

And now with my teeth squeaky clean, another year to go, and yet another craving for a subway right now... I look back and think, wow, that really wasn't that bad. I just made it seem like I was gonna die or something.

Praise the Lord for being done (for another year!!!).
Praise the Lord for Subway.
Praise the Lord for His divine deliverance.
And praise the Lord for Spring Break... which, by the way, is in 22 days... :)

Loves!
Remey.

No comments:

Post a Comment