Monday, September 19, 2011

The Right Thing

Doing the right thing is…sometimes really hard. When you’re being showed by God and the Holy Spirit and even your own mother that something you’re doing isn’t exactly good for you or the people around you, it can be a real humbling experience.

It started when…well, school started. We got a whole host of new teachers. A new music teacher, a new PE teacher, a new computer literacy teacher, etc. You get the picture. Our staff was pretty shocked with who decided to leave, as were the students. But the shock didn't end up wearing off. It sort of grew when we saw who was coming our way next.

I’ve never really had trouble with teachers. I respect all my teachers, and my teachers expect me in turn. I’m never rude to them or talk against them, but I understand their difficulty in teaching our class as much as they understand our class’s difficulty in learning under them at times. It’s hard when you don’t see the same way as your teacher. It’s even harder when they don’t see the same way you do or any of your class for that matter. Thus brought the new conflict.

Like I said, I’ve never had trouble with teachers. There has never been a teacher that I really “hated” like some of the other students in my classes. This year we got a new PE teacher along with all the new staff members…and lets just say I’m learning a whole new step on the spectrum of respect.

It’s hard. It’s hard to respect someone who makes you do things that you don’t agree with or think you shouldn’t have to do. But that’s the way it is. Especially since he’s a bit inexperienced. He graduated last year from his college, thus this being his first initial year as a PE teacher. We’re the guinea pigs.

I wouldn’t exactly call it conflict. Well, I guess I would. I’m having a constant conflict with myself and with him on whether or not to respect him. Yes, I respect him to his face and in front of others and whatnot. But it’s getting harder and harder to not join in the complaining in the locker room and the gossip during class. It’s hard.

It’s hard to be IN the world and to not be OF the world.

So you see, doing the right thing is sometimes really hard. To refrain to the gossip that can easily slip out of my mouth and the complaining that I can let out in front of my siblings and parents at home is hard for me now with this new authority figure in my life.

We’ll see where this takes me. God is in control. He brought this young teacher to us for some reason. I know it.

Loves.
Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment